Pichavaram Mangrove Forest is a unique and ecologically important wetland located in Tamil Nadu, India. It is the second largest mangrove forest in India after the Sunderbans. It is also one of the few mangrove forests in the world with a network of interconnected canals and channels. The mangrove forest is home to a variety of flora and fauna, many of which are endangered species.
Why do Tourist love Pichavaram mangroove forest :
The area also serves as an important breeding ground for a variety of fish, crustaceans and other aquatic species. Pichavaram is also a popular destination for bird watching, with over 200 species of migratory and resident birds being spotted in the area. The mangrove forest also serves as a natural carbon sink, helping to reduce the effects of global warming.
Experience of Boating at Pichavaram Mangroove Forest:
Pichavaram Mangrove forest is one of the largest mangrove forests in India and is located in the Pichavaram region of Tamil Nadu. It is an incredibly beautiful place, with a vast network of canals and channels that wind through the mangrove trees. Boating through this magical forest is an experience that I will never forget.
The boat ride was a mesmerizing experience. The water was calm and peaceful, and the trees were so dense that the sun barely penetrated through. As we sailed through the canals, we could see a variety of wildlife, including water birds, monitor lizards, and even a few dolphins. The air was filled with the sound of birds chirping and the gentle lapping of the water against the boat.
We stopped at some of the islands in the middle of the forest, and we were able to take a closer look at the mangroves and the creatures that live in them. The sight of the roots of the mangrove trees stretching down into the water was simply breathtaking. It was a surreal experience, as if we were in a different world.
Best Season to visit Pichavaram Mangroove Forest :
The best time to visit Pichavaram is during the winter months, from October to March. The weather during this time is pleasant and perfect for outdoor activities such as boating and bird watching. The temperature ranges from 20°C to 35°C. The monsoon season (June to September) is also an ideal time to visit the mangrove forest. The picturesque view of the backwaters with lush greenery and the thick canopy of trees is worth a visit.
List of popular Pichavaram resorts for stay :
- Sea Breeze Beach Resort
- Dolphin Beach Resort
- Silver Sand Beach Resort
- The Pichavaram Resort
- Pichavaram Green Lagoon Resort
- Pichavaram Eco Resort
- Coconut Valley Resort
- The Grand Pichavaram Resort
- Serenity Beach Resort
- Kamarajar Beach Resort
Best Hotels in Pichavaram for Food :
- Hotel Pichavaram Inn
- The Hotel Annai Residency
- Hotel VGP Golden Beach
- The Hotel Sunrise
- Hotel Pichavaram Paradise
- Residency Inn
- Hotel The Grand
- Anandha Inn
Things to do in Pichavaram Mangroove Forest :
- Boating: Enjoy a leisurely boat ride through the mangrove forest, admiring its beauty and tranquility.
- Bird Watching: Pichavaram is home to a variety of migratory and resident birds, so keep your eyes peeled for some interesting species!
- Fishing: Fishing enthusiasts can enjoy catching fish in the backwaters of Pichavaram.
- Cycling: Cycle along the trails of the mangrove forest for a unique experience.
- Camping: Spend a night under the stars in the mangrove forests.
- Kayaking: Paddle through the peaceful backwaters of the mangrove forest in a kayak.
- Photography: Capture the beauty of Pichavaram in your lens.
- Guided Tours: Take a guided tour of the mangrove forest with an experienced guide.
- Picnicking: Pack a picnic basket and explore the mangrove forest with your family and friends.
Things to avoid during your trip to Pichavaram Mangroove forest :
- Do not damage or disturb any plants or animals.
- Dont swim or take a boat in the mangrove forests.
- Do not litter or leave any waste behind.
- Dont light any fire or smoke in the mangrove forests.
- Do not feed any wildlife.
- Avoid loud noises or playing music.
- Do not use any chemical or detergent to clean your boats or equipment.
- Dont take any souvenirs from the mangrove forests.
- Do not touch, pick or disturb any wildlife or eggs.
- Dont use any kind of motor vehicles within the mangrove forest.
Visit the travel blog section for more articles.